Katalon Recorder v3.4: A powerful Selenium IDE alternative
The team at Katalon are excited to announce the release of Katalon Recorder 3.4 – the champion project of the Katalon Studio Hackathon contest. Katalon Recorder is the best Selenium IDE-compatible replacement on Chrome and Firefox that helps record, play, debug, manage automated tests as well as export to C#, Java, Ruby, Python, Groovy, or Robot Framework.
Last year, the testing community was disappointed seeing Selenium IDE be discontinued from Firefox 55 onwards. Many Selenium IDE alternative solutions have been chosen by the community as the successors. In order to support those users who are no longer able to use Selenium IDE or users of popular open source frameworks looking for a handy recorder, the Katalon Studio team developed and released Katalon Recorder.
Katalon Recorder is compatible with the latest Firefox and Chrome browsers. It is set to update automatically when a new version is available on the browser to make sure that users can keep up with its latest features.
Using Katalon Recorder, users can capture web elements and record actions on web applications to generate test case easily. Its intuitive interface allows users to edit, debug and play test cases and test suites quickly.
Katalon Recorder’s unique features:
- Recording, playing, and debugging (pause/resume, set breakpoints) test cases.
- Fastest execution speed.
- Fully compatible with all Selenese commands: users can import Selenium IDE tests to Katalon Recorder.
- Supporting HTML’s <input type=”file”> element (Chrome only).
- Easy flow control with if/elseIf/else and while commands.
- Supporting data driven testing – data can be imported from CSV file.
- Advanced reporting with logs, screenshots, and integration with Katalon TestOps for advanced test execution analysis.
- Exporting to Selenium WebDriver scripts to be used in many languages and frameworks including C# (MSTest and NUnit), Java (TestNG and JUnit), Ruby (RSpec), Python (unittest), Groovy (Katalon Studio), Robot Framework, and XML.
- Compatible with the latest Firefox and Chrome versions.
- Integrating with Katalon Studio for advanced automated testing including creating, organizing, managing, and executing tests.
Figure 1: The comparison between Katalon Recorder and Selenium IDE
“Katalon Recorder is a great tool for automation testing and a perfect substitute for Selenium IDE.”, said Vijay (Founder of SoftwareTestingHelp.com).
“Intuitive interface, easy to do what Selenium IDE for Firefox did and quickly to learn for starter. This add-on can be used to automate simple test scenario or generate the “raw” scripts that can be edited using advanced IDE for complex scenario or to be used with external data source.” (John S. – QA Lead)
Please visit Chrome and Firefox store to get the latest version of Katalon Recorder. If you want to ask any Katalon products ( Studio, Recorder, TestOps) related questions or help other members out, please join us on Katalon forum.
Read more: How to handle Selenium Exceptions
The Katalon team.