What is Mobile
Mobile application (app) testing is the process of verifying whether an app designed for handheld devices meets certain mobile testing requirements. “Mobile app" refers to three types of software: native apps, mobile web apps, and hybrid apps.
In all software development processes, mobile app testing is a must before an app is released into the marketplace. This step ensures the final product functions properly throughout its customer experience journey.
Mobile testing not only oversees the quality and functionality of the app but also effectively increases user engagement.
Why is mobile application testing important?
Imagine yourself – as a user – trying out a new app. If the app takes too long to download, chances are you might exit before even using it.
If it functions well on Android but the UI is funky on your iOS devices, you may also drop out. If the app repeatedly crashes while in use, you may discontinue using it.
So thoroughly testing your app would eliminate risks like these and increase the app retention rate.
Types of Mobile Application Testing
Best Practices for Mobile Application Testing
- Set out a clear mobile testing strategy and define objectives before performing the actual tests.
- Carry out UI tests on real mobile devices, not just on emulators or simulators.
- Make sure tests are applied in the initial phase as well as progressively throughout the development process.
- Prioritize testing on certain devices and operating systems as it is impractical to test on all devices, OSs and network combinations.
- Execute performance, stress, and security testing sufficiently.
- Cover the app interoperability, battery consumption, and fault tolerance with suitable tests.
Why Katalon for Mobile Testing
Bundled with required components and prebuilt keywords to start your mobile automation project in no time.
Support the latest mobile platforms and devices. Leverage the Appium-based rich and active ecosystem.
Effectively detect and store UI elements to speed up the scripting process and reduce maintenance effort.
Effortlessly generate tests with mobile recorder. Automatically store all UI elements for reuse purposes.
Maximize automation efficiency with reusable test objects and scripts across API, web, and mobile platforms.
Tests can be executed locally and remotely with real devices, simulators or cloud-based devices.
Integrate with the mobile platforms you are already using (Sauce Labs, LambdaTest, and more).
Katalon Mobile Testing Capabilities
|Mobile Testing Capability||Katalon Studio|
|Supported OS||Windows, macOS, and Linux|
|Installation & Use||Easy to setup and use|
|Application Under Test||Native apps, mobile web apps, and hybrid apps|
|Testing Platform||Android & iOS|
|Testing Device||Real devices and emulators|
|Programming Skill||Not required|
|Record & Playback||Advanced|